Cahersiveen and the Surrounding area
Cahersiveen on the Skellig Coast is steeped in history.
A little history on the beautiful town of Cahersiveen lies on the river Fertha at the foot of Bentee Mountain, Cathair Saidhbhin means stone fort of little Sadhbh. Sadhbh (pronounced “Sive” was the daughter of the McMcarty Mor chieftain of the 1500’s . He gave his daughter a stone fort on the south side of the river. The irish word for “fort” is “cathair”
The ring of Kerry route was first established in cahersiveen in 1893 by T.J.Leslie, owner of Leslie’s Railway Hotel. Tourists arrived by train from Killarney, had lunch in the hotel and travelled by horse coach to Watervilled where they stayed overnight. Next morning they travelled on. Stopped for lunch in Parknasilla hotel and continued to Kenmare from where they caught the evening train back to Killarney. It was called the Gran Atlantic Coach Tour
Daniel O’Connell, Ireland’s most outstanding statemans, was born on the ourskites of the town in 1775, He is considered by many to be the world founder of “mass peaceful protect” Martin Luther Kind and Gandhi were among his admirers.
Grave of Monisgnor Hugh o’Flaherty – the scarlet Pimpernal can be found on the church grounds. Monisgnor while working as apriest in the Vatican during world War 11, he organised the hiding and escape of more than 6000 fleeing the Nazis.