Why Book Direct?
Why Book Direct?
We are very lucky to live in a town like Cahersiveen, The Town that “Climbs the Mountains” and to experience its history and beauty on a daily basis. So we thought we would let you know some of our favorite things to do…
1. Skellig Sauna – Mobile Sauna on local beaches visit www.skelligsauna.ie for more
2. Rent a bike at Caseys Cycles New St Cahersiveen, and discover the Skellig coast or Valentia island by bicycle http://www.bikehirekerry.com/
3. Visit Skellig Six18 Distillery – Try out Cahersiveen’s own distillery, Skellig Six18 Distillery, and try their amazing artisan Gin and new Whiskey creation.
4. Visit Skellig Michael – There is a World UNESCO Site right in our backyard, 12 km off the coast of Portmagee (only a short spin down the road from Cahersiveen) you will find Skellig Michael. Visiting the island is an absolutely breathtaking experience, Monks lived on the Island from as early as the 8th century and you can visit their monetary even to this day. Be sure to book early as only a limited amount of visitors are permitted on the Island each day.
5. Skellig Coast/Ring Scenic Drive – If weren’t lucky enough to get tickets to Skellig Michael, or perhaps the weather is too rough to make the crossing, consider taking a drive around the Skellig Ring. Visit the Kerry Cliffs and stop off at the delicious Skellig Chocolate Factory.
6. Hiking – Check out some of the amazing trails around Cahersiveen, we recommend the Beentee Loop which has amazing panoramic views.
7. Visit the Old Barracks Heritage Centre – The Old Barracks is now a Heritage Centre for the Iveragh Peninsula, which has many exhibits that highlight the history of the local area. There are exhibits on the Great Southern and Western Railway, the life of Daniel O’Connell, the Fenian Rising of 1867, the 1916 Rising, and Monsignor Hugh O’Flaherty. It gives a great insight into the vast history of the region.
8. Ballycarbery Castle – The absolutely breathtaking Ballycarbery Castle is located just 3km from Cahersiveen and is well worth the trip, especially for those who want to get a great snap for Instagram. Ballycarbery Castle is off the beaten path, located right beside Ballycarbery strand where you can enjoy a walk on the sand and sometimes, if you are lucky, you can have the whole place to yourself.
9. Shops/Coffee/Chats – With so many great shops in Cahersiveen be sure you make time to check out the amazing boutiques, Grab a coffee with Fox in the Box (coffee trailer) or one of our many great cafes/bistros in the town.
10. Cahersiveen Festival of Music & Arts – If you happen to be visiting Cahersiveen over the August Bank holiday weekend make sure you make time for the Cahersiveen Festival of Music & Arts, it’s always a great weekend!
12. Star Gazing – Cahersiveen is located in one of the world’s only 3 Gold Tier International Dark Sky Reserves. When the sun goes down make sure you take in the blanket of stars.